Skip to main content
Topic: Dual Wheel Air Extensions--Information (Read 2875 times) previous topic - next topic

Dual Wheel Air Extensions--Information

Yahoo Message Number: 148
On our trip north from FMCA we pulled in to a picinic area to have lunch. There was a big puddle and we proceeded to get stuck in it.
While we were trying to get out and the wheel was spinning there was a big rush of air. Big question: Was it the air brake line, or leveling line or a tire flat. After we were pulled out we washed the RV off and no damage but the inside tire was flat. A closer look showed that the end of the tire stem was pulled off and the extension was gone. Paul showed me a screwdriver like tool that can be used to take the caps off.

Moral of the story! TAKE YOUR TIRE AIR EXTENSIONS OFF AND THROW THEM AWAY....FAR AWAY.

Remember they told us this at the FMCA too.

Al

Re: Dual Wheel Air Extensions--Information

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 152
I've heard that too Al, and have not put them on. Another moral is to make sure you have roadside service from one of the clubs. It's worth the 70 - 90 bucks when you need a tire change or get towed for 155 miles in mountain terrain. Total tow job was 989.00

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 154
Dave

Aside from what happened to Al (a rather rare occurrence, I would guess) I would submit that the main reason for not having the extensions is air loss.
These extensions introduce two other potential failure points that can cause air leakage.

I had my tires rotated a few years back at a truck tire shop. They didn't want to put the extensions back on. The mechanic said that about half of them leak. I think he might have exaggerated but I'm sure they can and do leak.

Have you ever seen a truck with the extensions??, I haven't. They simply buy a $20. OO air gauge with two air inlets, one forward and one backward and check both tires without problems. You can buy the gauges at any truck stop.
Another reason for the better air gauge, is that they are accurate. I was using a cheap gauge with a movable plastic indicator. That gauge was reading about 5-6 lb. low.
Ken

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 155
I agree with you 100% valve extensions are trouble waiting to happen. I too have had the inside valve stem break when I was Whistler skiing. The cable chain broke and took the valve stem with it. I did not have a spare valve, could not find one in the area so it cost me 180.00 for a service call as the guy had to go all the way to Vancouver to get it. No more extensions for me.
Mark

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 160
I'm not sure what happened. All I can guess that there was a stick in the mud and it wedged between the wheel and pulled the extension out. It came apart half way down the threads that hold the valve cap on. Yes, the extension is from the inside wheel to the outside wheel.

AL

- In Country-Coach-Owners@y..., "David G. Grazier" wrote:

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 163
Hi Ken,

I did buy a truckers tire gauge with a dual head. I also bought a dual head air chuck to inflate the tires. The problem is that the heads do not line up with the valve stems. The angle is too great to take any readings. I believe I will have to bend something so that they will work. I am open to any suggestions you may have. Thanks, Dave

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 164
Go to any tire dealer and have them adjust the valves so that you can get to them. I had to do the same thing.
Mark

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 169
The correct chuck/fitting with air guage can be had for about $20.00 from "Les Schwab". They were the only ones that seem to have this type tire gauge..

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 171
Dave

My valve stems lined up OK. Part of the problem might be that the inner and outer rims must be positioned on the studs properly without the extenders.
With the extenders positioning in not as critical since the extenders are bent to come out and attach to the hub.
Ken

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 182
Dave, I have an Allure and had your same problem a couple of years ago. I traveled to several Truck Stops until I found an Air Chuck with a STRAIGHT LINE-UP for the Inner Duals and it has a Parallel chuck for the Outer Dual stem. I can't remember the manufacture, but can tell you it is a BLACK ANODIZED color.

HOpe this helps, MIKE

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 184
Quote from: @j\.\.\.
On our trip north from FMCA we pulled in to a picinic area to have > lunch. There was a big puddle and we proceeded to get stuck in

it.

While we were trying to get out and the wheel was spinning there

was

a big rush of air. Big question: Was it the air brake line, or > leveling line or a tire flat. After we were pulled out we washed

the

RV off and no damage but the inside tire was flat. A closer look > showed that the end of the tire stem was pulled off and the

extension

was gone. Paul showed me a screwdriver like tool that can be used

to

take the caps off.

Moral of the story! TAKE YOUR TIRE AIR EXTENSIONS OFF AND THROW

THEM

AWAY....FAR AWAY.

Al, Alcoa makes a rubber biscuit valve stem extension support that
is installed in the outside wheel that will solve 95% of problem and still retain the ease of pressure checking and inflation. Gary

Remember they told us this at the FMCA too.

Al