Skip to main content
Topic: CC Magna Research Question (1) (Read 743 times) previous topic - next topic

CC Magna Research Question (1)

Yahoo Message Number: 21890
I have been lurking here for several weeks now and have not posted because I do not currently have a CC. We are full timers who because of extenuating circumstances bought what was available at the moment.
We are happy with our home but want something a little nicer and more substancial. We are doing our research in anticipation of buying a new Magna in about 6 to 8 months. Enough introduction.
I have recently read a number of postings indicating the Inspire has only 1000# capacity left on the rear axel with the coach wet. That would bother me a lot as a full timer. I have not read any posts for the Magna or Affinity indicating this is the same or almost the same.
Is this just a lack of posts from Magna owners or is there plenty of weight capacity on both the front and rear axels on the Magna and Affinity?

My current MOHO (40' CAT 350 pulling a Mini Cooper) runs an engine temperature of about 180 getting up to about 190 on long climbs up steep grades. The Turbo Pressure will get up to about 26.5 and the tranny temp will get up to about 145. These temperatures seem to be normal to me from my experiences. I am reading postings here of engine temps in the 210 area and tranny temps in the 160 to 180 area. That seems to be a little high for my piece of mind. What does CC and / or Cummins & CAT and Allison have to say about these temperatures? I was always told that side radiators always run cooler engine temps.

Thanks for your information and I hope I am not intruding to much.

Re: CC Magna Research Question (1)

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 21949
The Inspire has 1 rear axel which has a limit imposed by law in addition to any limit imposed by the components. Yes, I only have 1000 more pounds I can put on the rear axel, but I have 2000 pounds of leeway on the front axel (total 3000 pounds CCC). IE, stuff in the middle would count 50% to the rear axel and 50% to the front.
Plus, that 1000 pounds is with a full water tank, which I would seldom have in 'real life'. Perhaps, it will work out; perhaps it won't. I think it will be ok if I don't add much hitch weight.

I was planning to put a couple mopeds back there, but that is right out. Now I'm thinking of putting them on the front.

If the Magna or Affinity has a tag (third) axel, it should have the same legal maximum on the main axel PLUS at least half again of that capacity for the tag axel (they are only single wheel, not dually, I think). This should increase your rear axel CCC by a couple thousand pounds at least.

John 04 Inspire 51078

Quote from: adrianbarbaralee
>

I have been lurking here for several weeks now and have not posted > because I do not currently have a CC. We are full timers who

because

of extenuating circumstances bought what was available at the

moment.

We are happy with our home but want something a little nicer and

more

substancial. We are doing our research in anticipation of buying a

new

Magna in about 6 to 8 months. Enough introduction.

I have recently read a number of postings indicating the Inspire

has

only 1000# capacity left on the rear axel with the coach wet. That > would bother me a lot as a full timer. I have not read any posts

for

the Magna or Affinity indicating this is the same or almost the

same.

Is this just a lack of posts from Magna owners or is there plenty

of

weight capacity on both the front and rear axels on the Magna and > Affinity?

My current MOHO (40' CAT 350 pulling a Mini Cooper) runs an engine > temperature of about 180 getting up to about 190 on long climbs up > steep grades. The Turbo Pressure will get up to about 26.5 and the > tranny temp will get up to about 145. These temperatures seem to be > normal to me from my experiences. I am reading postings here of

engine

temps in the 210 area and tranny temps in the 160 to 180 area. That > seems to be a little high for my piece of mind. What does CC and /

or

Cummins & CAT and Allison have to say about these temperatures? I

was

Re: CC Magna Research Question (1)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 21950
Quote from: seven_siamese_cats
>

The Inspire has 1 rear axel which has a limit imposed by law in > addition to any limit imposed by the components. Yes, I only have > 1000 more pounds I can put on the rear axel, but I have 2000 pounds > of leeway on the front axel (total 3000 pounds CCC). IE, stuff in > the middle would count 50% to the rear axel and 50% to the front.
Plus, that 1000 pounds is with a full water tank, which I would > seldom have in 'real life'. Perhaps, it will work out; perhaps it > won't. I think it will be ok if I don't add much hitch weight.
> I was planning to put a couple mopeds back there, but that is right > out. Now I'm thinking of putting them on the front.
> If the Magna or Affinity has a tag (third) axel, it should have the > same legal maximum on the main axel PLUS at least half again of that > capacity for the tag axel (they are only single wheel, not dually, I > think). This should increase your rear axel CCC by a couple > thousand pounds at least.

John 04 Inspire 51078

John,

Thank you very much for your response. Understand now.