Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Air Conditioner (Read 1814 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash Air Conditioner

Yahoo Message Number: 10652
On a recent trip I experienced a problem with my dash air conditioning. It gradually became less and less effective and now seems to be as cool as the outside air. At the same time on several stops we noticed coolant (green slimey antifreeze) dripping from below the front of the coach.

My regular coach fix up guy said he could find nothing wrong but when I picked up the coach he looked at the compressor for the AC on the engine and noticed it was not spinning. Since its a Cummins, do I just take it to them?
Thanks,

Mike and Marg

98 Intrigue 36' Tiara 10538
2000 CRV

Re: Dash Air Conditioner

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10658
Mike: You might want to see an A/C service garage. The automotive systems are similar and Cummins might charge you truck rates. Due to the age of your system, you could be in need of an evacuate and recharge with the standard dryer change. Quite often they can sniff out any bad O rings or loose connections that may be letting the refrigerant out. When the compressor pulley doesn't spin, that could be any of a number of things, including a bad clutch or even as simple as a switch if you are lucky.
When I first got my coach (99) I had leaking antifreeze from the front compartment. Dealer couldn't find anything so they took the housing off, up underneath and tightened the hoses. No problem since. 50k miles not.

Larry

Intrigue10762

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10667
Mike, take the coach to a regular a/c shop not Cummins. If you have the switch turned on on the dash and the compressor isn't turning, then it can be one of two things. Either you are not getting power to the clutch or the clutch is shot. There should be a black wire comming from somewhere that goes to the clutch and when the a/c is turned on, there should be approx 12 volts on that wire. It could be something as simple as a blown fuse. Best to take to the experts.

Don

'02 Intrigue

Quote from: mikeogh2000
On a recent trip I experienced a problem with my dash air > conditioning. It gradually became less and less effective and now > seems to be as cool as the outside air. At the same time on

several

stops we noticed coolant (green slimey antifreeze) dripping from > below the front of the coach.

My regular coach fix up guy said he could find nothing wrong but

when
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10670
Another possible reason for dash a/c compressor not running is a refrigerant leak. We're trying to locate an elusive high-side leak in our coach right now. The system maintains pressure when a/c is not in use but loses enough refrigerant after about eight hours of use, that the compressor stops running.
Jim Barber
'87 LTD

Quote from: dons2346
Mike, take the coach to a regular a/c shop not Cummins. If you have > the switch turned on on the dash and the compressor isn't turning, > then it can be one of two things. Either you are not getting power

to

the clutch or the clutch is shot. There should be a black wire > comming from somewhere that goes to the clutch and when the a/c is > turned on, there should be approx 12 volts on that wire. It could

be

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10799
Don and Larry

Thanks for the advice. I am in the process of finding a local (Albany NY) A/C shop to check the whole system out.
Mike and Marg

98 '36 Intrigue Tiara #10538