Skip to main content
Topic: More electric questions for y'all.... (Read 1627 times) previous topic - next topic

More electric questions for y'all....

Yahoo Message Number: 191
OK, for those of you with voltmeters you can see (the kind plugged into your K outlet for instance..) please do me a favor....when you are plugged into 50 amp power, note what it is reading (I've found mine reading 121+/- 2 or 3 volts in the last few campgrounds. Then start up your toaster ovens (if you have one) and see what happens.
Please let me know how far down your voltage goes.
I'm finding that some folks say 1500 watt appliances are too much for our 50 amp circuit on RVs when we're plugged in (since they'll probably trip circuit breakers at 12 amp draw), but loads of folks seem to have toaster ovens which I've found ALL have at least 1500 watt ratings (some are 1568...and those are smaller than some of the others.)

When I plugged in my BIG toaster oven (1500 watt) it took the voltage down to 108...the red zone. I'm curious what others will find.
Thanks...sorry to be monopolizing this, but this is the best place to get just CC answers! You all are a great help!! Jan

Re: More electric questions for y'all....

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 230
Regardless of pluging into 30 amp or 50 amp you will still have only 20 amps avialable in your Coach inside outlets. They will all be on a 20 amp circuit. This should give you a full 2000 watts. You could be plugged into a poor power source in the Campground. It would show 120 volts until you put a draw on it, and then drop a lot. Try your generator and do the test again. You should show a very small drop.

Re: More electric questions for y'all....

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 231
Thanks for the info. That's a good idea for us to put the generator on and try it again. I hadn't thought about trying that to check it out. I'll try it this weekend....Jan