Skip to main content
Topic: Horn Doesn't Work (Read 561 times) previous topic - next topic

Horn Doesn't Work

Yahoo Message Number: 24851
Hi all,

I have a 2000 Allure and this weekend the horn decided it doesn't want to work. It may have been out longer; I just noticed it this past weekend. I figured before I started screwing around with it I asked the assembled brain trust. What are your recommendations for troubleshooting and subsequently repairing?

Thx,
Brian

2000 Allure 30507

Re: Horn Doesn't Work

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 24855
Brian,

Chassis fuse box under the dash left side (see #S0924) has wire 61 red going to the headlight switch, it also is 61 purple going to the horn air solenoid in the driver's side bay, there it is blade lug spliced to the red lead of the solenoid, the black lead is spliced to 57 yellow which does to the horn button. With everything off, listen for the solenoid to click when the horn button is pressed, if you hear it, then it's air plumbing - see D15993 foldout.
Fred Kovol

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Allure and this weekend the horn decided it doesn't

want

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 24890
Depends on how "complex" your horn is . Our Intrigue (2001) had a horn that didn't work...found that the air hose going to it located in the outside compartment by the driver, was not hooked up...somehow fell off....that's for those of us with just non-complex horns. Simplest thing to look for first.
Jan McNeill

2001 Intrigue 11320

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 24900
Brian,

Mine decides to go in-op every now and then. There is a small pneumatic-electric valve in the left front bay. That is your horn control valve. It has two air lines and two wires connected to it.
One wire is ground. The other goes up to the steering wheel. Check those connections. Mine were corroded. Also, on the pneumatic side, it doesn't take much glaze / gunk to stop the valve from actually working. A squirt of WD-40, or ???, inside the valve will likely free it up. You can take it apart and clean it with relatively little effort. Keep in mind that one of those air hoses is pressurized, so blow down your tanks prior to pulling out the valve. I'd bet that is your problem.
Mike

'95 Intrigue 10061

Quote from: brian_a2mi
Hi all,

want

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 24919
Mine stopped a while back and I found the air hose at the valve (front driverside compartment)had cracked and fallen off - trimmed it off and reconnected and everything is working well now - might check to see if the hoses are leaking air or cracked/split.

M. Peterson 03 Allure #30916

Quote from: brian_a2mi
Hi all,

want