Skip to main content
Topic: Phone Systems (Read 2102 times) previous topic - next topic

Phone Systems

Yahoo Message Number: 192
A couple of questions.
1. I've been told conflicting statements by cell phone "experts." One said that their roof mounted cell antenna (for both analog and digital) should have an 18 inch "ground plane" (metal-reflective plate) placed under the antenna. The other said that the cell signals radiate out in circles and do NOT need such a reflective panel.
Does anyone have any Facts to share?
1. Can someone provide some insight as to manufacturers/suppliers of a
device that would connect our coach phone line to our cell phone? This would permit us to use our regular "house phones" to dial out and receive calls.
This would work similar to a car handsfree set up that also has a handset, but the handset would also have dial capability. I have a Nokia 6120 phone, but would change if required.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Den

Re: Phone Systems

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 199
In response to question 1, my cell phone expert indicates very strongly that you DO need a ground plane. Yes, your cell phone will probably operate to some degree w/ just a regular antenna. However, adding the ground plane will most likely help your cell phone function at its greatest potential especially since your coach has a fiberglass shell. You might also change your unity gain antenna to a 3db gain antenna on top of a loading coil which could also improve performance.

Question 2, I know that these systems exist. I actually used one w/ a satellite system. I just can't remember who the manufacturer is.
However, your local cell phone dealer should be able to assist w/ this. Hope this helps.

Re: Phone Systems

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 206
Company: Precise Satellite & RV Electronics, Don Ellis, Owner Antenna>, sales, 888-229-5239.
Don put a cell phone antenna on my 2000 Intrigue with about a 12" by 12" metal "ground plane." He is from Florida but spends a lot of his time hitting many of the RV rallies ... giving seminars and installing hands off cell phone speakers, satellite dishes and DC stereo systems. My observation is that my cell signal strength increased by 1/3 to 1/2 (I spend most of my time in an area where the cell reception is so poor that it is unusable without this antenna). I think Don is knowledgeable and I am happy with his installation.

If you call, you will get his cell phone wherever he happens to be at the time.
Art