Skip to main content
Topic: Batteries (Read 2969 times) previous topic - next topic

Batteries

Yahoo Message Number: 9473
Hi, I have to replace the batteries in my 2003 Intrigue. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding brand and type? Thanks for your help.

Re: Batteries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9477
Hi, I have to replace the batteries in my 2003 Intrigue. Does
anyone have any suggestions regarding brand and type? Several weeks ago, Interstate Batteries, Bush Blvd, Tampa, FL, installed three new Interstate 8D batteries in our '98 Intrigue.

1. One 8D cranking battery (MHD-8D), 1400 CCA, 450 RC, 180 plates, 132 lbs.

2. Two 8D true deep cycle batteries (SRM-8D), 240AH @ 20 hrs, 455/25A,
106/75A, 127 lbs ea.

Total cost installed: $617

Dick (& Geri) Campagna
'98 36' Intrigue #10571
Mfd: 11/97

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9484
Hi John,

If you want lead acid, most brands are pretty much the same. Major decision on that choice is to stay with 8D's or go for golf cart batteries.
The other approach is AGM's (absorbed glass mat) batteries - a much better and much more expensive choice.
Call me for the details - I can talk your ear off - you have my number.

Arthur Block

2002 Intrigue #11332

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9492
I replaced my batteries with Lifeline AGMs. These are the neatest things since sliced bread. A few more bucks but I feel they are worth it. If you are in Southern CA, I can recommend Powertron Batteries in Santa Ana. Ph# 800.400.4858. They were the cheapest place I found to purchase.
Don

'02 Intrigue #11427

Quote from: John Panzenhagen
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9496
Don

Did your coach come with wet cell batteries? I was told by the Dekka factory that switching from wet to other types of batteries required changes to the electrical system i.e. level of charging, etc. Did you hear anything like that?

Gene

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9498

Don

Did your coach come with wet cell batteries? I was told by the Dekka
factory that switching from > wet to other types of batteries required changes to the electrical system i.e. level of charging, etc. > Did you hear anything like that?

I'm not Don (not that that's necessarily bad ), but I do know that a battery article in the West Marine catalog (a great reference book for an RVer's library!) makes it verrrrry clear that either gel cells or AGM batteries are very sensitive to overcharging. And I forget which. But it's definitely one of 'em.

Dick (& Geri) Campagna
'98 36' Intrigue #10571
Mfd: 11/97

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9501
The coach came with wet cell Champions. I have the RC7GS controller for the inverter and it has a setting for either wet cell or AGM so I switched it to AGM. In looking at the RC7GS manual, the charging levels are different depending on battery type selection. The RC7 controller should be the same as the GS model. The AGM was a factory option sometime after I ordered our coach.
I elected to put a AGM in for the starting battery also. I talked to the battery factory (Concorde) and they said that the deep cycle can be used as a starter battery without doing it any harm. I guess time will tell.
Don

'02 Intrigue #11427

Quote from: Dick Campagna
> From:
> Don

> Did your coach come with wet cell batteries? I was told by the

Dekka

factory that switching from > wet to other types of batteries

required

changes to the electrical system i.e. level of charging, etc. >

Did you

hear anything like that? > > I'm not Don (not that that's necessarily bad ), but I do know

that a

battery article in the West Marine catalog (a great reference book

for an

RVer's library!) makes it verrrrry clear that either gel cells or

AGM

batteries are very sensitive to overcharging. And I forget which.

But it's
'02 Intrigue #11427

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9505
Don,

Have you switched to the concorde batteries yet, my coach is a 2002 Intrigue 11451 and as of yet I have not had any trouble with the org batteries since I picked up the coach.
Will you be in Tenn if so I pherhaps I could I'd like to see the new batteries, Gary Bettig INtrigue 11451

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9506
We had 3 Lifeline AGMs installed in our Intrigue at the factory - 2 for the house and one for the chassis. They have been working great for 20 months. The AGM technology is maintenance free and also has the capability to accept and release a charge quickly without damaging the plates. Therefore it works great for both deep cycle and starter applications. You do have to program your inverter to select AGM as you battery type to get the maximum life from them.
Friends who have them tell me that it is not uncommon to have AGMs last for 5 years or longer. The glass mats protect the batteries from internal vibration damage (a common cause of failure) and help them to last a lot longer. Since they are maintenance free, you never have to worry about running them dry (another common cause of battery failure) and shorting them out either. AGMs are well worth the price.

Bob Kumza

2003 Intrigue #11581

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 9523
Hi Gene, yes, you do have to change the inverter to reflect the new batteries you put in the coach. If your changing to AGM or the other one (skips my mind right now) from acid you have to reset the controls. Did it in my last two coaches after having charging and retention problems. Instructions should be in your manual.

John Panzenhagen 2003 Intrigue

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 9540
I switched a couple of months ago. I had to do something as the starter battery went stone dead, even after sitting on a charger all day it was only 10 volts.

I did go with the Concorde line of battery. They are made local to me and the dealer gave me what I thought was a good price, $295 each if I bought 3. The next best price was $360. Won't make it to Tenn as we are getting ready to statr our summer trip. We have an appointment at the factory the first part of June to have the seals around the slides replaced. CC now has some new seal material with a new design to replace the older seal.
Don

'02 Intrigue #11427
'02 Intrigue #11427