Skip to main content
Topic: Batteries (Read 6638 times) previous topic - next topic

Batteries

Yahoo Message Number: 74448
After 3 ½ years, I replace the house batteries with Lifeline AGM's. I just got a call from the shop and they said that they could not get the shore power for inside the coach to come on. The generator works or so they said.

Do you have any idea of what could be happening?

Thanks

Ed Wiseman 2009 Inspire #52167

)

Re: Batteries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 74449
Not sure I understand your post Ed...
Are you saying the coach is powered when the genset is running and has no power when plugged into shore power???

If that is the case, the culprit may be your transfer switch...

buck

k7wn, '99magna5653, Cat C10, Allison HD4060, SantaFe toad

=====================================================

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 74450
When that happens to me, it is the builtin surge protector that needs to be reset located behind my panel in the rear closet. Not sure where yours is located. mine resets with by turning the key 1/4 turn one direction and then turning it back to the on position. Only happened to me twice and only when plugging into single leg 120 voltage in someone elses garage a year ago.

Dallas

2004 intrigue 11688

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 74456
When I have had that problem it is because the shore power voltage is too low. I have a Fluke 787 Multimeter and checked the shore voltage and it was only 102 volts. I left the multimeter connected and told it to record the high and low and the low was 96 VAC and the high was 112 VAC in a 15 minute period. I complained to the park manager and he said to use the plug in in the next site like it would make a difference.

07 Intrigue 530 12162
C13 Cat Allison
06 Rubicon LJ

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 74483
Mark

Actually, changing to another pedestal could make a difference if the problem is a bad circuit breaker. We change on average of 4 to 6 per season in the campground I work at. Circuit breakers can and do fail. Some brands more than others.........
Dave aka Billy Byte (trusty hound)
2000 Allure #30443

From: mark_surber To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:36 PM Subject: [Country-Coach-Owners] Re: Batteries

When I have had that problem it is because the shore power voltage is too low. I have a Fluke 787 Multimeter and checked the shore voltage and it was only 102 volts. I left the multimeter connected and told it to record the high and low and the low was 96 VAC and the high was 112 VAC in a 15 minute period. I complained to the park manager and he said to use the plug in in the next site like it would make a difference.

07 Intrigue 530 12162
C13 Cat Allison
06 Rubicon LJ

[/size][/font]
[/size]
[/color][/font][/size]

Batteries

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 78429
Hello all. We bought our first RV last September --- 02 Intrigue. I have a couple questions for the group:

1. After keeping my coach in garage all winter and hooked up to a regular 115 amp plug, my batteries are completely dead and leaking acid / water. I am planning on getting INTERSTATE brand 8D flood batteries. Cost is approx $200/each. Is that about right? Also considering a BATTERY MINDER to assist in battery power management. Any thoughts / recommendations?
2. Is battery replacement a Do-It-Yourself task or should I take it to a repair shop. We are pretty skill setted at most endeavors, so I think we can do it. However, is there a process/ procedure / tool for replacement of batteries? Are they just set in the tray or bolted down?
3. I understand there is a special tool for replacing the water filter. Can anyone advise what this tool looks like? I am second owner and cannot find this tool, and would very much like to change water filters.

4. Any Country Coach owners in Nashville TN area that can recommend a RV mechanic / repair shop?

THANKS in advance for your assistance!

Tracy and Tina
02 Intrigue

tnkoifish@...

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 78432
Tracy/Tina,

I did mine myself but when I read your basic questions like are they bolted in or not, I get nervous. On my coach I have 2 chassis and 4 house batteries. When you are hooking all these up if you accidently short one of them out you could be shorting all of them out. There is a tremendous amount of power in just one 8D battery and you could have yourself a good explosion on your hands if your not extremely careful. I get nervous every time I've taken my batteries out, but that's a good thing.
I paid $160 for the batteries at Sam's last year but they aren't carrying them anymore. I used car batteries for my exchange batteries. Then I topped off my old batteries with water and took them to a interstate distributor and sold them for 38 cents a pound. I was think they weighed about 160 lbs. apiece. I got a check for around $360 which paid for a couple of them.
You still have another issue that needs to be addressed. Why are the batteries Dead? As far as them leaking, are you talking about them splattering out of the vents or what? If they are splattering they are probably being charged at to high amperage. Lead acid batteries should be charged at about 9-10 amps each for a maximum life span. Usually You can limit this on your remote.
If you don't want to run your coach's charger or leave it plugged it in all the time and want to hook it up to a alternative source such as a battery minder then make sure you get something that uses desulfaction (for extended battery life). Many solar panels have this built into them but not near as many chargers do.
Be CAREFUL!

Kevin Burns

2000 Affinity #5865

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 78435
Hello Tracy & Tina,

Welcome to the CC family.

You will need to be VERY CAREFUL should you decide to change the batteries yourselves.........most places that sell commercial batteries will install them at little or no cost.
I have a 2000 Allure and there is no special tool required to install the water filter.
If you haven't already, may I suggest you join a CC Club where you will have the opportunity to discuss CC issues at rallies as well as enjoy the hospitality of other CC owners. We belong to Southeast Country Coachers and our next rally is coming up later this month (4/25 - 4/28) in Asheville, NC. For more information on SECC, go to www.southeastcountrycoachers.com
Charles

2000 Allure #30555
Hoover, AL

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 78436
Tracy and Tina,

Actually, there is a special tool for changing the water filter. It looks like a new plastic wrench either with a large hole or a handle with a large C at the end to grip the housing to unscrew it. Makes it a lot easier than trying to do it with your hand(s).

Herb

Forum moderator

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 78439
Tracy/Tina,

I, too went through the battery issue after I bought my '03 Allure. I initially replaced my chassis battery with another lead acid battery (8d), because the old one died and I had very little time to replace it. I then later needed to replace the two 8d house batteries and struggled with that decision. I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy AGM batteries from Batteries Plus. I have been very pleased with the result. I replaced all of them myself, but with the latter two I took all batteries out, wire brushed and sanded the entire batery box down to clean metal, then built it back up with rust inhibitor, primer and a finish coat of protection. The amount of acid-caused corrosion I discovered made me glad I went to AGM batteries for the last two. When the chassis battery needs to be replaced again I will definitely go AGM. I paid about $550 each for them, as opposed to $175 for the lead acid 8d, but in the long run, I am very pleased with the AGM, and the corrosion is all but eliminated. I worked slowly and carefully throughout the process, but was glad I did it and learned what I did about the battery compartment and system.
Another issue mentioned by someone else is that of the root cause of your batteries being dead. The echo chargers in these coaches are notorious for not working properly. I ended up replacing mine with a solonoid that eliminated the problem. I had that done by Specialty RV & Marine (Tom Dinsmore) in Aurora, Or. He recommended the change and it works very well! As far as the water filter, I have no special knowledge of that. I replaced mine with a like filter from Camping World, and have been pleased so far. It was a little tough finding it in the bay ahead of the plumbing bay, behind a metal cover plate, but with a little care and effort, I had it replaced in a few minutes.
Welcome to the "family."

Bruce P '03 Allure w/ tag #30852

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 78441
Tracy and Tina,

Re: Filter. I assume you are talking about the "whole house" sediment filter. Herb is right about the two tools he mentioned for filter removal. But, there is another choice that fits pipes and filters of any size. It is a plumbers strap wrench. It has a stiff rubber loop that grips the filter housing (or any pipe) for removal or installation and allows infinite positioning. A water expert advised me to use only a sediment filter withoutcharcoal chlorine filtration. If you filter out the chlorine as you are filling your fresh water supply it may foul in a short time due to bacteria build-up.
When re-installing the canister, I use plumbers silicone (Lowes, etc.) on the threads and the "O" ring gasket. This insures a good seal and facillitates easy removal later.
Re: 8D Batteries. My local Sams Club in the Palm Springs, CA area carries them. They quoted me $178 ea. w/exchange last week. Check your local store. I suggest that you get help as they are very heavy.
Daron hairabedian, 98 allure 30226.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 78442
Tracy/Tina

I first take a few pictures. Then I do a diagram and number all the post and cables on my diagram. I then start putting all the cables where they go on the posts my diagram. I have found that way I do not make a mistake when I take them off to clean them.

Ilene 2004 Inspire 51071

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 78452
Kevin,

I was intrigued by your comment about the core value of my old 8D batts. I called the dealer in San Bernardino, CA that was listed on the Interstate web site as a "recycling center". They quoted me recycle value for SRM 8DS @ $9 and an 8DMHD @ $21. Which distributor gave you the $0.38 per lb price? What am I doing wrong here? Should I be talking to a main warehouse distributor? Daron Hairabedian, 98 Allure 30226

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 78453
Daron,

I happened on to it by mistake but, the Interstate warehouse is just across the road from my shop and They told me they bought used batteries and what they were paying for them and I was shocked. I took my old ones to them on a pallet and they had a big scale in the back and they placed the pallet and all on it and weighed it all. I don't know if they deducted anything for the pallet or not. One of my batteries had blown the top off of it while in storage and split the case so it didn't have any acid in it. After that I bought some new batteries for my scissor lift and did the same thing and got 25 cents a pound. Sam's core charge is $9.00 here in Tulsa, Ok.
I think you might try calling a distributor and ask if they by used batteries and ask what they are paying for used lead acid batts. I know they sell used batteries with a 30 day warranty. The manager told me a lot of times all they have to do is charge them and put a different label on them then they resell them.
Good luck,
Kevin Burns

2000 Affinity #5865

Re: water filters (was Re: Batteries)

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 78454
My understanding is that the built in whole house filter filters water as it _leaves_ the fresh water holding tank. Therefore it would be okay - in fact, recommended - to use a charcoal filter cartridge in that filter canister.
Many (most?) experienced RVers use a separate sediment filter on the hose connection used to fill the water tank. Lots of water filter treatment information and supplies at the following web site: http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/
The RV Water Store folks are very helpful and should be able to recommend the best filter setup for your needs and supply replacement cartridges (and the missing cartridge wrench) at a very reasonable cost.
--

Tom Harsch 2002 Allure #30791
Pahrump, NV
--
Tom Harsch -- 2002 36' Allure #30791

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 78457
You pretty much get what you pay for with batteries. Cheap batteries with a short service life and problematic operation might actually turn out to be more expensive in the long run. As for flooded lead acid cells, my suggestion is to skip that option and go with AGM (absorption glass mat). Flooded lead acid batteries require careful monitoring and running them down below 10.4 volts means you'll do permanent damage. The effects of liquid acid and corrosive vapors present ongoing maintenance items.
Our OEM Deka batteries quickly crapped out necessitating replacement. http://muniac.smugmug.com/Travel/Country-Coach-2006-430-Allure/BatteryBay/738011173_TMKHe-M.jpg Making an uninformed decision, I replaced two Deka 8D units with 4 Rolls Marine flooded lead acid batteries on revamp #1. Cells are connected in series within the battery which means, as the battery ages, one or more will eventually over charge causing disproportionate electrolyte losses. I struggled with this problem for several years. It required looking in 24 cells to make sure electrolyte levels were correct. Adding distilled water to some of the more inaccessible cells was difficult.
After some research I replaced the Rolls Marine batteries with LifeLine AGM batteries on revamp #2. http://muniac.smugmug.com/Travel/Country-Coach-2006-430-Allure/IMG3270/738717472_Ff4BF-M.jpg You can run these batteries completed stone dead and they won't be damaged. LifeLine pioneered this technology for the military. These batteries have been in service since Oct 09 and I'm very happy with their power and "0" maintenance. If you can see your way clear, I'd suggest going with these batteries.
As for the chassis batteries, I went with two Odyssey AGMs (group 31 I think). Odyssey makes some of the best batteries to be found. My echo charger has been fine. We sit for up to 8 months and I always have had cranking power. I can keep an eye on things with this: http://muniac.smugmug.com/Travel/Country-Coach-2006-430-Allure/IMG3354/749383635_XePRS-M.jpg
I don't often need to run my charger as the solar power collected charges both banks. We can get about 3kW a day now. In the depths of winter when the panels are covered in snow the charger comes in handy. As for our solar setup, those wishing more information can read here: http://www.muniac.com/Power1.html It's in three parts. Stay powered!!

At 12:09 PM 4/6/2012, you wrote:

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 78470
Tracy and Tina,

I have a 2004 intrigue, simular to your battery bay. I replace my two coach batteries with AGM 8D's after seeing all the rust in the bay. then I put a residential refrigerator in the coach and decided to completely gut the battery bay and weld brackets to put add two more 8D AGM batteries in the same bay along with the 8D starter battery (flooded). Then a few weeks ago my flooded starter battery starting going south so I replaced that with a AGM battery too.
A few months ago, the Family motor coach magazine had a great article in it about how to wire your house batteries so that they all draw evenly. I noticed that when I pulled my AGM house batteries out at about 80& SOC (state of charge) and tested each one, they were all holding different voltages so I rewired my house batteries as pointed out in the magazine article and I have already noticed a difference in how they draw down. It won't make much of a difference with two house batteries but it will with four or more.
With regards to going AGM vs flooded, It is pretty much a cost issue. I don't think you will twice as much life out of a AGM but it is sure nice to just shut that battery bay door and never have to visit again for a few years. My wife likes that idea too since she would not know the first thing about battery maintenace or even care to deal with it, let along ruining a good shirt if you rub up against a flooded battery while trying to fill it with water.

Just my opinion.

Dallas 2004 intrigue 11688

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 78483
Not knowing the age and condition of the batteries, it is hard to say if you have a problem with the batteries or the charging system. What would be a concern is the leaking. Did the batteries get overcharged and the electrolyte get boiled out of the batteries? If so, is the charging system providing a low float charge rate? If not, putting in new batteries could result in the same problem.
The project is a do-it-yourself one as long as you are comfortable to connecting batteries in series and parallel. However, there are facilities that will do all the heavy lifting and custom make any new cables needed on the spot.
One of the first things to be done is remove all the batteries and get access to all the structure so it can be cleaned and determine if there is any damage from the leaking battery acid. The area needs to be nuetralized, corrosion treated and repaired as necessary.
There is nothing wrong with using lead acid batteries as long as you are willing to do the needed periodic maintenance. All batteries have just so many duty cycles in their life and is dependent on how they are constructed. That is why a true deep cycle battery is constructed differently from a start battery. Well maintained batteries and charging system, there is no reason why good quality lead acid batteries will not last 5 years. I use 8D starting batteries I get from Sam's and T-125 Trojan batteries for house. My starting battery is 5 years old and my T-125's are 6 years old and they are still working strong.
As far as the filter wrench....it is plastic and is a closed splined ring with a handle. Camping World may have them or in a pinch a good strap wrench should work as well.

Jim Hughes

2000 Allure #30511

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 78513
If your batteries are Lifeline, there is a 5 letter code branded into the top side of the case. Contact me (Off Line) with the letters and I can tell you mfg. date.

Tom

97 Prevost

Lifeline batteries