Skip to main content
Topic: Gel-coat for roof (Read 1941 times) previous topic - next topic

Gel-coat for roof

Yahoo Message Number: 229
As everyone knows, CC does a great job of gel-coating their coaches-- except for the roof! My 2000 Magna "bleeds" white chalky stripes down the side as the wax and fiberglass deteriorate. Has anyone had their roof area gel-coated? Is their any reason why not to do this? Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Hurley Langford

Re: Gel-coat for roof

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 232
I have a 2000 Magna and the only striping I get is when I do not wash the top before I do the sides.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 233
I hate to bring up another company, but to make my point, Foretravel has been gel-coating their roofs for years. I beleive cost is the only factor why CC only gels 6" of the roof line. (just be careful walking up there after you do this) robin

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 234
I might be wrong but I'm under the impression that the roof is gel coated and the rest of the RV is painted with a two part paint. This is a take off from my boat which is fiber glass/gel coated. Gel coat requires a wax to fill in the microcracks and without it will degrade from the uv rather fast. The white stuff is from the uv degraded gel coat on the top. To slow it down I wax the roof with a thick layer and leave it on as a protector. In other words I leave the thick layer of cloudy wax on the roof all the time. Any good carnaba wax will do, and I stay away from any silicone types.

Al