Skip to main content
Topic: Saturn base plates (Read 1435 times) previous topic - next topic

Saturn base plates

Yahoo Message Number: 254
When we purchased our Country Coach we asked the dealer to install a Blue Ox tow bar on the motorhome and base plate on our Saturn tow car. We let the dealer talk us into a Roadmaster installation. Whereas the Blue OX attaches through the grill area of the car, the one we got had a very low clearance "L-shaped" bracket which would bottom out and scrape on most every driveway entrance/exit.
After putting up with this situation for a couple of years, we discovered one of the pins had broke, leaving the tow car attached only on one side. We replaced the pin, but decided to arrange to switch to a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar which we did.
Now not only do we have a safer installation, and no more bottoming out on the toad car, but we don't have all that unsightly hardware on the front of the car.
Hope this will help anyone contemplating a new tow bar and/or base plate.

Sincerely,

Henry Butler

Re: Saturn base plates

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 257
Quote from: Butler"
r />]
Hi Henry,

My wife and I made the decision before we purchased our Allure that we would buy a tow package from Blue Ox for our Saturn. I liked all of the features of the Blue Ox package and we really liked the hidden base plate. If you could not see the electrical connection receptacle, you would not know the car is towable when we are driving the Saturn. We purchased the Aladdin tow bar. It is easy to use and operate.

I will share a problem that I did have with the tow bar. The telescoping arms would not lock for me one time when I went to use it. I took it back to the dealer and after a call to the factory, we both (dealer and I) learned how to fix the problem. On each arm is a 1 inch square box about 5 inches long containing the latching mechanism and the release lever. This box has a rubber seal on each end. Pry the rubber seal off on the end toward the coach with a screwdriver. You will see a screw head for a common screwdriver inside the square. Extend the telescoping arm to its maximum length and turn this screw head until the release lever latches. You will know it latches when the release lever clicks into position. I would recommend you operate the telescoping arm several times to make sure you have adjusted the screw correctly. While you have the rubber seal off, you may want to lubricate the telescoping arm with grease.
When you are finished, replace the rubber seal. I then used a clear caulking to seal any possible gaps the rubber seal may have missed.
You really do not want any dirt, water, or other foreign substance accumulating inside the telescoping mechanism.
I check the operation of the tow bar before I hook up our Saturn. It is part of my safety check routine before we travel. Have fun.

Dave Grazier