Skip to main content
Topic: Dry Camping questions (40' Intrigue) (Read 2111 times) previous topic - next topic

Dry Camping questions (40' Intrigue)

Yahoo Message Number: 265
I'd like to know what to expect when dry camping in our 40' Intrigue as far as how long the batteries (2 8D's) should last under what circumstances...i.e. please tell me about how many and how long you would use lights, about how long TV, etc. Then, how would you "usually" recharge the batteries with the generator, etc. Please give me "real scenarios" ...remember, I'm TOTALLY new to this, so keep it simple. Thanks so much...Jan

Re: Dry Camping questions (40' Intrigue)

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 296
Quote from: @m\.\.\.
I'd like to know what to expect when dry camping in our 40' Intrigue > as far as how long the batteries (2 8D's) should last under what > circumstances...i.e. please tell me about how many and how long you > would use lights, about how long TV, etc. Then, how would > you "usually" recharge the batteries with the generator, etc. Please > give me "real scenarios" ...remember, I'm TOTALLY new to this, so > keep it simple. Thanks so much...Jan
Jan, I didn't get my reply to your question posted, now that I'm more literate I think I can work this thing. We dry camp quite a bit, Twice a year we join our jeep club and boondock in the wilderness for 7 or more days so perhaps I can help. My batteries are gel cel but that shouldn't matter too much. We conserve as much as possible and use the generator to supplement our consumption. If we are using a hair dryer, microwave or other heavy duty appliance we would be using the generator to support it. However, to watch TV at night or make a quick cup of instant tea or coffee we would just take off the batteries. This is our first year with a Hurricane Heating System and I've noticed that it consumes huge amounts of electricity during the night as does the inverter. We set the heat low (60 - 63) and add blankets. (Okay, to all you hearty souls, 60 - 63 is not all that cold but we gave up tenting years ago.) In the morning, I would kick on the generator to recharge the batteries and run it for about 1.5 hours. This year we added two Siemans 100Watt solar panels so it will be interesting to see how much we need to recharge.

Are you planning on dry camping much? It's unusual to find people that dry camp often but it is a lot of fun. By the way, are you guys going to the home coming rally? You sure learn a lot at the seminars and from discussions with other owners.

Best regards, John Panzenhagen

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 302
Glad to hear from you, John. Helpful info! I (and others) will be eager to hear how the solar panels work out. We're thinking of doing that when we get out west next Fall-Winter (figuring the best places to get them installed will be there...not much use for them here in the east!) We check our batteries with a multimeter now, not trusting the Invertrix readings at all, and all seems OK. They are still working on the Invertrix reading problems we hear. We were told that running the generator for only a few hours is not enough to top off our batteries, so we'll be watching that too with the help of the multimeter.

We would love to be able to camp without hookups in great places, so let us all know your favorite spots that will accommodate a large RV!

Happy travels...Jan

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 307
In Country-Coach-Owners@y..., janreed1@m... wrote: our 40' Intrigue as far as how long the batteries (2 8D's) should last under what circumstances...i.e. please tell me about how many and how long you would use lights, about how long TV, etc. Then, how would you "usually" recharge the batteries with the generator, etc. >>

It's impossible to give you absolute answers to your question because not all batteries are alike, battery conditions and ambient temperatures vary, and and and.

Run your refrigerator on LPG if possible.

Leave the inverter turned OFF at all times unless you really need it to run the microwave, TV set, or any other 110V appliance. When you're done, turn it OFF again. (Even when you think "nothing" is running off the inverter, you will lose power because some chassis features and some house features automatically engage when the inverter is ON.)

If you need to run a power hungry device such as an air conditioner for hours at a time, run the generator to supply the electricity.

If your campsite neighbors complain about exhaust fumes from your generator, attach an exhaust pipe extension to your existing pipe. That extension carries the fumes above your roofline. An extender costs around $100 at Camping World. Installation and removal are very simple and quick.

If you decide to watch a movie in the evening, go ahead. If the batteries are charged well, you can watch TV for several hours while having at least two lamps on. Fluorescent ceiling lights use less electricity than the lights on the walls. Reduce the number of lights to a comfortable level. (I use only one of three ceiling lights.)

An alarm will sound when your power reserves drop beyond a certain level. I'm not sure what exactly that is on an Intrigue. When the alarm sounds, you need to recharge.

I usually run the generator in the morning while I use the microwave for breakfast and run the TV to watch the Weather Channel. Maybe you also want to use a hair dryer after taking a shower. Check the panel in your coach to check on the battery level and decide when you want to stop the generator.

Boondocking is one of the pleasures of an independent RV lifestyle. My wife and I have done it many times when it was too late at night to find an open campground or when we attended events that permitted dry camping.

I hope you enjoy your new Intrigue.

Regards,
Jeff

Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 311
Thanks, LOADS, Jeff...that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I guess that we'll just have to experiment, but at least it gives us a clue about what "most people" can do...We're looking forward to being able to be a bit more self-sufficient and staying in a few out of the way camping areas. I know heat and AC are problems with power consumption, but we hope to try for some areas that have good temps...or we'll use a lot of blankets! Jan

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 317
janreed1@... wrote: info I was looking for. I guess that we'll just have to experiment, but at least it gives us a clue about what "most people" can do...We're looking forward to being able to be a bit more self-sufficient and staying in a few out of the way camping areas. I know heat and AC are problems with power consumption, but we hope to try for some areas that have good temps...or we'll use a lot of blankets! >>

Jan,

maybe this is helpful:

I arrived with one other person at an "event campsite" without hook-ups in a Monaco Windsor. Now, the Windsor is very similar to the Intrigue in many respects but it has a different inverter. My travel mate needed to be connected to an electrically powered (110 Volts) medical device. I'm not sure what the exact power consumption is (amperage) but it works continuously and, therefore, constantly draws power from the batteries. The batteries were charged when we arrived and we watched some TV before we retired for the night, maybe for an hour or so. I had the inverter on but the generator off. I woke up after 6 or 7 hours when the low battery alarm started to beep.
I also had the fridge run on electricity at the time.

Assuming that you are blessed with good health, you and your travel companion(s) could have watched TV for hours that night before the alarm would have gone off.

Here's another tip: When you know you're going to boondock, run your generator BEFORE you arrive. When you're there, you can shut it off and enjoy the sounds and smells of nature rather than the hum and exhaust of your "gennie".

And another one: If you have a hot water dispensers in your kitchen like the InstaHot system (provides hot water for a cup of coffee), disconnect it by pulling the plug under your kitchen cabinet. Otherwise, it will heat that small hot water tank and draw power from your batteries.

I know many people like the InstaHot system. I like coffee, too but I have yet to experience a coffeine deficiency emergency where I can't wait two minutes to heat up fresh water in the microwave or on the stove.
So, mine is permanently disconnected.

Happy boondocking !
Jeff

Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great prices http://auctions.yahoo.com/