Skip to main content
Topic: another new member (Read 2918 times) previous topic - next topic

another new member

Yahoo Message Number: 22
Just joined this morning. We are George and Donna from Cincinnati now just about ready to return from 4 months in southern California, Arizona and once again for the fifth time in Laughlin. We have a 1999 Intrigue 36' with dinette slide and a 350isc Cummins. Writing this from the laptop networked to Donna's desktop Dell in our motorhome without a telephone line but using Starband dish we have been using successfully since we left home.

I am not being negative at all but I have become somewhat of an unwilling "expert" in Country Coach systems and limitations from many problems in our new Intrigue now corrected. I have done as much of the work as possible following very good support from CC service via telephone and internet.

We are members of CCI and have been to the class reunion in Eugene last year and the CC rally in Orlando last winter. Planning to go to the class reunion again this year and work it in with a BMW motorcycle rally in Redmond.

Surely happy to find this group and hope it becomes very active.

Re: another new member

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 23
A response to George and Donna from Joe and Judy
We also have an Intrigue (98) no slide. At this point we have had minimal problems with the coach. We've added a number of improvements and have done most of the repairs ourselves.
In our past life, we traveled on a BMW K100. Really enjoyed that MC. Still think about motorcycling but it's hard to travel with our Dachshund on a MC.
We will hit the homecoming one of these years. May try for 2001. We were in Vegas in 98 and the Balloon Fest in Albq in 2000. Won't make the OK City pre rally but will be in OK City for the FMCA in April.

Take care

Joe n Judy Adams

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 26
mreasy2 said:

"From: mreasy2@...>

To: Country-Coach-Owners@yahoogroups.com> Subject: Re: [Country-Coach-Owners] another new member Date: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 7:03 PM

Please explain this "starband dish"?
Starband is the 2-way internet system now being tested by beta users. It includes a Dell desktop, software, rx/tx boards and a special oval-shaped dish with rx/tx lnbs and 110 and 119 lnbs for Dish Network. It is intended solely for non-mobile use and is not supported by Starband for rv use. We decided to try it on our rv anyway and have become proficient in aiming it.
For more information go to starband.com

Sincerely

George W Becker

gwb36@...

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 28
There are a number of vehicles that can be towed with all four wheels on the ground. See one of the back issues of Motorhome magazine; they have a list of all of the towables. I tow a 98 Saturn wagon or a 99 GMC Jimmy 4WD.
Jeeps are very popular.

I'm hitting the road in April and will be selling my 98 Saturn wagon before I leave. It's set up for towing with a falcon 5250 (Roadmaster) and the electrical connections. It's a blind connection on the Saturn; only small ears protrude.

Joe n Judy Adams

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 33
Hi Darlene: The rally in Eugene is July 30-August 3rd. Hope to see you there!

--- dhovis1234@... wrote:

In a message dated 2/20/2001 10:27:18 AM Mountain > Standard Time,

skpjose@... writes: >

>

My name is Darlene Hovis and my husband is Don. We > own a 2000 40' Intrigue

and have had to iron out the bugs. It is nice to be > a member of this group.

When is the rally in Eugene? Is it in May 2001? If > so, I would like to
attend.
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices! http://auctions.yahoo.com/

another new member

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 577
hi everyone

we recently bought a B van. it is a Dodge Pleasure Way... So far it seems to work great and maybe one day we will move up to a big one...what is the reputation of B vans and the pleasure ways? also, we wish to acquire a digital satellite system for it and would like some input from your experience...fixed dish on roof?...tripod?...dish network or direct tv?...thank you for any advice you can give.

emery

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 578
...what is the reputation of B vans and the pleasure ways? also, we wish to acquire a digital satellite system for it and would like some input from your experience...fixed dish on roof?...tripod?...dish network or direct tv?...thank you for any advice you can give.
Hi emery. You may not get much feedback on a B van from this bunch of diesel owners. Not that we are snobs but there are probably not many of us who have ever owned a B van.
I own both a portable dish and a roof mounted Trac Star and subscribe to Direct TV. I have been with Direct TV for years. Their support is so-so. So far they have beat me out of about $150 by not giving me credit for returning a card insert. I hear equally bad things about Dish tho' so I guess I would go with Direct TV because of their size and their program selections. When you buy a system look for sales at electronic stores so you can get the whole package for practically nothing if you sign a contract. Then get a roof mounted antenna if you want one. They are strictly a luxury and you don't have to have one. Keep the portable antenna for those occasions when the roof is shaded. Since I am a retired 'electroniker' it is easy for me to hook everything up. If you can't do it yourself, get a good tech to do it so it will work the way it should. I've had to redo the coax in all five of my MH's. Good luck.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 579
Quote from: @z\.\.\.
...what is the reputation of B vans and the pleasure ways? also, we > wish to acquire a digital satellite system for it and would like

some

input from your experience...fixed dish on roof?...tripod?...dish > network or direct tv?...thank you for any advice you can give.

Hi emery. You may not get much feedback on a B van from this bunch

of

diesel owners. Not that we are snobs but there are probably not

many

of us who have ever owned a B van.

I own both a portable dish and a roof mounted Trac Star and

subscribe

to Direct TV. I have been with Direct TV for years. Their support > is so-so. So far they have beat me out of about $150 by not giving > me credit for returning a card insert. I hear equally bad things > about Dish tho' so I guess I would go with Direct TV because of

their

size and their program selections. When you buy a system look for > sales at electronic stores so you can get the whole package for > practically nothing if you sign a contract. Then get a roof mounted > antenna if you want one. They are strictly a luxury and you don't > have to have one. Keep the portable antenna for those occasions

when

the roof is shaded. Since I am a retired 'electroniker' it is easy > for me to hook everything up. If you can't do it yourself, get a > good tech to do it so it will work the way it should. I've had to > redo the coax in all five of my MH's. Good luck.
thanks for your response. i will look into the direct tv thing. it seems to me that a roof mounted antenna runs a high risk of being signal blocked by trees and other items when you park. it seems the tripod would be smarter...i am not sure what you meant by a diesel owner being a snob, as there would be no reason, but thank you for your input, very much...

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 580
emery.properties@... wrote: Way... So far it seems to work great and maybe one day we will move up to a big one...what is the reputation of B vans and the pleasure ways? also, we wish to acquire a digital satellite system for it and would like some input from your experience...fixed dish on roof?...tripod?...dish network or direct tv?...thank you for any advice you can give. >>

Emery,

you're in the wrong group. This group is for Country Coach coaches. I don't know of a Pleasure Way group.
You may want to try "RVing" here on Yahoo.

B vans: They are so different in size, handling and equipment from class A coaches, that you probably won't get much feedback from us here.

DSS: Roof-mounted systems are convenient but can be useless if you're parked at a wooded campsite. If you want only one system, I suggest you get a dish and tripod, a length of coaxial cable and one of those thingummajigs that help you find the signal quickly.
You may find a place for the tripod near the campground road, point it at the satellite and enjoy the programs while someone with a rood-mounted system sits "in the dark".

Dish Network or DirectTV: You'll find contrary opinions on who to choose. I prefer Dish but had to take Direct for technical reasons. Before you buy anything, be sure you can get a receiver that works with your antenna and your prefered service.

Good luck with your new RV !
Jeff

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 583
Well after watching the yelling matches between wives and husbands with he outside adjusting the antenna looking for the signal and she inside listening to the tone, I decided to get the automatic one to eliminate that yelling.
Have had no problems except when we park under trees, and if heavy leaf foliage on a tree to the southeast i dont get a signal. I carried and extra antenna to couple into the rv park cable input but found that i never used it. i just moved the coach forward or back or didnt watch tv. We use dss so dont know about the others. find that dss gives us everything we need and then some. even has interactive capability that i can querry it for current stock prices on my specific stocks. another computer that one must learn

good luck

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 593
Hi Emery, welcome to the group. I disagree with the statement that you won't find much to help you with this group, we all have tons of RV experience and are willing to answer any and all questions. I have an automatic dish antennae on my RV and also carry an extra dish and tripod because we are under trees so often in the east coast. There is a signal meter available from Radio Shack that helps tune in your dish but I think it's kind of on the high side, I think it retails around seventy dollars or more.

We met someone at the rally in Maine that owned a B unit and he just loved it, I was very impressed with the interior but I enjoy all the space in my rig. Good luck with yours.

John

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 597
john

thanks for your message. now i will continue to watch this board and feel comfortable asking questions that solidify my inexperience. by the way, would you recommend the dish network or direct tv? emery