Skip to main content
Topic: AC Electric *** Need Help *** (Read 2435 times) previous topic - next topic

AC Electric *** Need Help ***

Yahoo Message Number: 111603
Hi all,

Don't know if anyone can help with this. I have a 2003 40foot allure that I have plunged into at my house a 30 amp 120 properly wired campground set up for my coach. The plug has worked for over a year. I did have someone replace the batteries. I Start the generator, everything works great. When I plug in AC (30 amp 120V) It does nothing.. I tested the receptacle and adaptor (Which is new). country coach did install the auto Power HW-RV 50 in the worst spot, its behind the electric panel in bedroom. They made a a small hole in the closet and peace of plastic to look threw. There are 2 other gray boxes. in the cubby hole. I guess I need to know where the electric plug wire goes. Is it direct into the HW-RV50? the AC did come on once by jiggling the plug. It was on for like 10 minutes, the I heard a very loud click coming from the back of the coach, where the HW-RV50, and inverter are. After that loud click.. No more AC.. That was with the HW-RV50 in bypass mode. I put it back on serg, but maybe should put back in bypass to see if I can get it to come on again.

There is only one light that is lit on the HW-RV50, The caution light. The over / Undervoltage light has not come on.

Help make bob a happy camper again... LoL Thanks guys
Bob

Re: AC Electric *** Need Help ***

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111620
Hey, Bob.

Just a quick guess but it sounds to me like a problem with the transfer switch. That's the gizmo that sees where the input power is from (generator or shore power). If you are certain that your shore power outlet is good and the two lights, Line 1 & Line 2, are off then the transfer switch could be your problem.

There are other physical wire connections between the shore power source and the coach breaker panel that could be the culprit. In any case, it sounds like a job for a qualified RV electrician.

Good luck. 
Dick

2002 Intrigue, #11438
Dick May
2002 Intrigue, #11438, towing a
2014 Jeep Gr Cherokee ecoDiesel

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111621
Bob,

If you need the instruction booklet for the HW-RV50, let me know and I will copy and sent to you.

Dick

2002 Intrigue, #11438
Dick May
2002 Intrigue, #11438, towing a
2014 Jeep Gr Cherokee ecoDiesel

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111639
let me see if I can get it on PDF, But I did check the new batteries, and one is dead. So the man order me another one. I am thinking that because it was dead, Only could get 11.5 volts even though the other new batter was over 13 Vots. They are both in line house batteries. I think that was messing with the transfer switch.

Bob

03 allure 40 foot tag

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111640
I guess the transfer gizmo is in one of the gray boxes... Should be easy enough to test, . "Come here y'all and watch this"... LoL...

Bob

03 Allure 40 foot tag

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111641
Here hold my beer first! LOL You always wanted curly hair!

All kidding aside dangerous voltage in there pay attention if you have to test/check with power applied.

First I would disconnect from pedestal and leave genset off. Check the physical wire connections make sure tight and no burn marks from arcing. Use a meter then and measure from the transfer switch connection to the end of the cable that goes to the pedestal for continuity for each connection.

Ray

They say wine improves with age! As I enter my golden years, I say age improves with wine! The Born Loser

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111654
You wouldn't have a picture of the pedestal would you? Is it inside one of the grey metal boxes. I have to yank tv out and take apart half the cabinet to get to them...

Bob

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111669
Agreed my testing was for the coach after you disconnect from the campground power.