Skip to main content
Topic: magna recall on toyo tires (Read 29974 times) previous topic - next topic

magna recall on toyo tires

Yahoo Message Number: 789
We have just recently purchased a used though with only 6,000 miles 36ft. magna and are wondering about the nhtsa recall on the front and or rear tires. Our front and rear tires are m111z-2&3, 12r225-16pr, max load 7200 psi/ max dual 6320 psi. Three of the four tires had the numbers m111z-2 and one at miiz-3. With the new tires I recieved one m111z-5 and another m111z-2. The nhtsa campaign number for the magna recall is :01v284000 and the recall number for the allure is : 01v17000. If any magna owner of the 2000 year model or other country coach members can help us figure out what numbers they have recieved or could help us clarify it sure would be most appreciated. Glad to members of the club: Paul&Michelle

Re: magna recall on toyo tires

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 790
Hello Paul and Michelle,

You have purchased one of my favorite coachs. The recall CC had on the front tires as I remember was due to improper tire inflation. In other words Country Coach is now sending there fine units out of the factory with max tire inflation to prevent the liability from falling on them, this covers them against the tire manufacturer. After the coach is retail sold I always tell my customers to load it up and get it weighed (4 corner).
From there you can refer to your brown file folder from CC and look for your Toyo tire manual which has a tire inflation chart. This way you can release some tire pressure to suit your weight and create a softer ride.
Now every coach is different depnding on options and load, but as an example I just had a 2002 - 40' Magna dual slide weighed. These people were fulltimers, they had it loaded up heavy and all tanks, I mean ALL tanks were full. We had it weighed and worked the chart. After that I faxed all the paperwork to Les Schwab and they concured that 100psi in the front, 90psi in the rear, and 80 psi in the tag all cold would be perfect for this specific coach.

Now back to the recall, some CC models were sent out of the factory with say 100psi of air in front when the tire says max tire inflation is 120.lbs or more, even though you "probably" dont need 120psi to cover CC against any liability they are replacing those front tires with new ones and asking the service centers to inflate the new tires to 120psi, from there you can adjust it to your weight. To start I would look up your 4 digit CC number which can be found on an exterior label just aft of your entry door (or behind the medicine cabinet door), it will probably start with a 5 (example 5941). Take that number and call CC service at 800-452-8015 and get to "chassis service", they should be able to tell you if your coach has new front tires. There is also a ride hieght valve "update" you can inquire about as well.

Good Luck,

Damon

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 792
Hi Paul,

We have a 2000 36 ft Magna, sn 5762, that was built in 1999. I'm still waiting for the two tires CC offered to replace those in the front, so I don't yet know the "-" numbers on them.
I am curious to know more about how CC is determining whether front, rear or all tires should be replaced. According to my current federal tire label inside the coach, the (cold) front and rear tire inflation pressures should be 85# and 90# respectively. Since those pressures are indadequate for both the FAWR and RAWR, it seems like they should have offered to replace all 6 tires vs. only the front two.

If you know how CC determined how many tires should be replaced on your coach, please post.

Thanks,

Paul Thomas
Titusville, FL

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 797
I suggest you call cc and ask for david king at ext 283, he was very helpful to me today and corrected what I had been told by a service center in fla dave

Tires

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 791
Hi Damon:

It was so nice to finally have someone write something positive and knew what they are talking about. I am on my third Country Coach and now have a 40ft. Magna which I love. I have known about the weight thing for a long time, I had a 1990 Concept before this. I always weigh my coach loaded and then calculate the tire pressure accordingly. The only thing I do different from other folks is I have my tires siped because we are skiers and do some winter driving when we go to Colorado and Utah.
We spend a big part of our Summers in Minnesota with my wife's folks and hope to meet you sometime when we are in your neighborhood.

Sincerely,

Mark Layton

Tires

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 6984
I own a 36 ft. 99 Intrigue and would like to replace the 275 - 75 - 22.5 tires with larger tires. I would appreciate any comments that you would be willing to share with me.

Thanks

Vaughn Scales

Re: Tires

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 6985
Vaughn: I have some insite that I hope will help. First of all, I have some strong confirmations concerning the age replacement theory. It seems clear among tire experts both within and outside the RV industry that tires will deteriorate with age and become unsafe. This is particularly true when dealing with R.V.s that are parked for long periods of time. Flat spots weaken the structure of the tire, etc. Even though the tire appears good, like mine, from being parked in a garage when not in use, the age factor is still a strong one. Experts recommend replacement for safety sake at five years. Those who ignore that advise (like me) are at much greater risk for tire failure.
As to the size issue, I have a 99 Intrigue with 275 70 22.5 low profile tires. After my tire failure, I called Country Coach Tech's and asked about replacement size that would not interfere with suspension, etc. Two tech's conferred and came up with the idea to send my request to engineering because they were not working at CC during the tire recall in 1999 and didn't have the answer. At this point, 12 days later, Country Coach has not favored me with any response. I will be surprised if they call or E-mail me. They are far to busy with serious problems like we all had during the first couple of years.
I received an answer from a source I beleive to be reputable: The Les Schwab dealer is Junction City is the supplier of tires and batteries to Country Coach. The man in the know is Rob Dickman @ 800 257-8430. These folks know what's going on at Country Coach much better than some service tech's.
By the way, these folks took the Smart Tire system and modified it to accomodate 40' models, with an antenna system. They supply manufacturers like Country Coach and Monaco with Smart Tire systems with the modification. I ordered my system from Rob and will install it with my new tires.
Rob remembers the recall of front tires in 1999 and was involved in the replacement of many steering axle tires. As a "band-aid" fix, they went to 11R 22.5 on the front of several galley-slide models while leaving the low profile tires on the rear. To me that was a hokey thing to do. I think the manufacturer should have changed all of the tires.
Sorry to ramble, but here's his take on it: Most larger tires will fit, but present the risk of severe damage if you have an suspension air bag failure. Apparently the clearance is inadequate and the failure of an air bag would set the chassis down onto a larger tire and cause some serious things to happen. Therefore, the only size he can recommend for upgrading is a 275 80 22.5. They are larger; fatter tires. They are only manufacturered by Michelin and Continental, according to my local Les Schwab dealer. Most larger tires require wider wheel size. That's why these specific tires alone will work. There may be other ones that are the same diameter, but wheel size is not the same.
My local Les Schwab dealer quoted me $2,084.76 for six Continentals, mounted and balanced.($300.00 per tire) His price for Michelins was $2,766.25. Michelins are $86.00 per tire more.
I'm waiting for my Smart Tire system to arrive, then I'm going to make the switch. It seems that the low profile tires we have are very unpopular and have little casing value.
It is interesting to note that the low profile tires do carry a high load rating capacity. You don't gain much with larger tires, but they look better and apparently will give a little better ride. Who knows.
BTW: When you ask me a question it's like scratching a pup behind the ear. The next thing you know he jumps in your lap and you can't get rid of him.

Larry
Intrigue

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 6990
Larry, Have you talked to anyone about how the Coach drives and handles with Continental or Michelins vs Toyo tires. My Coach drives great and I don't want to change how it drives.

I agree the coach would look better with larger tires, but my reason for wanting larger tires is to lower my RPM's a little when running out in the flats.
I have planty of power in the mountains so I would give up a little there to gain lower RPM's other places.

Thanks for the information Vaughn Scales

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 6994
Vaughn: Who know the truth? My local dealer tells me that Michelin has a softer ride due to a softer sidewall. The Continental has more steel in (?) He quoted me $265.00 per tire for Continental but couldn't give me the Michelin price until he talk to the distributor. That size wasn't on his screen or something.
I received my Smart Tire equipment today and I'm going to install the dash unit and antenna tomorrow.
I'll probably bite the bullet and go for the Michelins. No regrets that way.
What the he** if I leave it to my kids, they will just fight over it. Might as well spend it while I'm here!
Anybody want to buy some 275 70 22.5 Toyo's that look brand new? I have five of them. Maybe make good schoolyard swings, huh?

Larry

Intrigue 10762

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 6997
Larry and Vaughn,

Are your original tires not on the recall that came out first part of this year. I have a '99 Allure and my tires were on the recall.
I had bought two Michelens earlier because of uneven wear and poor handling and then I got my six new Toyos and made a deal with the tire guy that does all of the tire works for Buddy Gregg in Dallas and got four more Michelens. What an improvement in ride!!!!

Egon

'99 Allure

'03 Tahoe Z71 toad

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 6998
When I see comments abou tthe 12R x 22.5 rubbing the coach BADLY...IF the ride height "valves"..?? go out...isnt there some sort of "safety device" or ?? that keeps that from happening? Or is it as simple as when the ride height things go out..you have "instant" coach damage from the taller tires??
If that true....that sure SUCKS !!! I WANT 12R's for their height and capacity...but geeze??

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 6999
Larry and Vaughn,

Hi Larry,

My coach is a 2000 Intrigue 36'.

I have changed my tires from the original Toyo 275.70X22.5 to Michelin XZA-2 275.80X22.5 Load Range H. I discussed this with CC prior to the refit and Doug Rutherford recommended the change. I have been very satisfied with the upgrade. The tires run much cooler and the coach tracks and steers better. I now have 10K miles on the tires. I recalibrated my speedometer as well, however,I had upgraded the speedo to the VDO as used in the 2000 Magna some time ago, so the calibration procedure is different from the original Datcon. The rim width, 8.25, is correct for the Michelin 275.80. One other advantage is I picked up 1/2 mile per gal due to the increased diameter.(Larry,I believe the 295.80 you mentioned is too large to fit so you might re-check that). Hope this answers some

of your questions.

Denny F

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 7003
I spoke to Rob at Bob Dickman tire Center in Junction City. He indicated the problem with taller tires was the potential for sudden tire failure in the event of a loss of the air bag, not the leveling device.
Apparently the suspension will allow the body to drop down onto the tire if the bag fails. He said the company reworked the suspension on later models to allow adequate clearance.
The dreaded scenario (I suppose) is the freeway speed loss of air in a bag and the body dropping down onto the tires and either causing tire failure and/or parts coming unglued from the event. It doesn't appear to be a high-probability event does it?
I was impressed that with my tire blowout, that sounded like an explosion, the heavy gauge inner panel did a good job of limiting the damage to the loss of the small mud flap.
Perhaps you could check yours by dumping the air out of the system and see if the rear tires hit the top of the housing. I'm not sure you could see or feel up there. but it may let you know if you have a potential problem.

Larry
Intrigue

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 7004
The coachs built form the factory with 12R tires have a taller frame rail to allow for clearance, so what you described will not occur.

This would happen on the early 2000 and older coachs that came from the factory with 275/70 (low profile) tires if they were replaced with a tire that was to tall (11R/12R)

Damon

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 7008
Larry, What is different about the smart tire that you are getting ? Money is a factor but I plan to look at the Michelins pretty strong.

Vaughn Scales

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 7010
Denny, Is your 2000 Intrigue and early 2000 or late 2000? My 99 sets lower than some of the 2000 models.

Vaughn Scales

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 7011
RE: 12Rx22.5 (have them)

I lost a rear ride height control valve on I-10 in West Texas two weeks ago.
Noticed a 'lot more bounce' in the rear end of the coach and could hear a grumble out of the drive shaft at times. The rear tire did lightly rub the frame rail but only during a few big bounces. No damage noted to the frame or the tire. (just rubbed the undercoating off a little)

Pulled the fuse (under direction of CC tech support) in the HWH leveling system, leveled up the coach and drove to a Coach Care shop in Ocala Florida. Thankfully the coach was still in warranty by a few days.

I like the 12R Toyo tires, mine have made two trips up and down the Alaska Hwy*.

They show NO signs of damage or tread wear to my un-trained eye.

Jim Cook

2002 Intrigue #11446
www.al7rv.net

*The ALCAN is paved (or good tar/chip) 100% of the way now, execpt where they are repaving it.

And they are repaving a lot of it. .

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 7012
Hi Vaughn,

My 2000 Intrigue is CC#10938 and that's an early 2000 so it's basically the same hight as your '99. The mid-year change raised the frame clearance 3" to accomodate the larger 12R tires. Also, contrary to some opinions, my coach does have the Neway IFS as all 2000's do.
However, the clearance should be the same on your '99. If you have room for 1" more clearance at the top, with the air bags down, you'll be able to change to the larger 275X80's with no problem. I have talked to several '98-'99 coach owners that have made this change at CCI rallies. As I stated, I was satisfied with the tracking and ride with the Toyo's, but have noted improvement with the Michelins. The Michelin is noted for being a good steering tire, and as Larry pointed out, the sidewalls are softer which tends to make for a smoother ride. Both Bridgestone and Continental make this size as well. The Michelins are considerably more expensive then either of the other two brands. However, after reading and discussing with truck owners, tire people, CC, and other coach owners, I chose the Michelins.

Denny F.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 7013
Hi Vaughn, I respectfully suggest you make a call to the factory and confirm that your coach is not part of the recall.

Country Coach has made a very concerted effort to reach all owners involved but there is a limit to what they can do, especially for second or third owners where the location of the coach or last known address is unknown.

The USPS is good but still collects a huge amount of undeliverable mail.

Alternatively, you could list your coach number here and maybe some other owners with closely adjacent numbers will respond and let you know their situation regarding the tires.

David & Karen CA.
2000 Intrigue 11062
40 ft Single slide. PT
2002 Odyssey TOAD

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 7015
Vaughn: Smart Tire Tech's told me that the only way to monitor high-pressure tires on a 40' motor home was with the modified system developed and sold by Rob Dickman at Les Schwab Tire in Junction City.
O received the system yesterday. It has an external antenna that is 25' long. It is designed to go under the motor home and hang down a few inches under the center of the body where it can get a clear signal from all tires.
The factory system has a smaller antenna that remains within the dash board of an average car/truck.

The system from Schwab costs $625.00 and i'm installing it myself.

Larry

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 7016
I was told by CCI that my coach, a dinette slide was exempt from tire recall. Only the galley slide models.
Larry

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 7062
Hi Larry,

Regarding the use of 275/80s, did you get this in writing or just verbally? I'd like to see Country Coach step up and put this in writing for all of us if indeed you did get it in writing. I have yet to get this in writing.

When you say they run cooler, what temp are they running at and at what speed and psi? Are you using smart tire to monitor this? My left rear tires run hotter than the rest, is that your observation as well? Left inside rear running at 160 degrees at 110 psi and 65mph, Left rear out side is around 150 degrees rest of tires running around 140-145 according to smart tire... All tires are running at 110psi cold. Not sure how accurate smart tire really is. This is based on one 5 day trip we just completed 650 miles round trip to Key West. We had packed very little and did not have a toad either, it was our checkout run to find out what works and doesnt work. It goes back to the dealer next week to fix a "few" minor things...

Regarding the 275/80s here is my story.....
I just recently bought a 2000 Allure LaPine 40' galley slide, #30431 which has the 275/70 tires, the previous owner had put 6 new bridgestones on the coach 6 months ago

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 7072
Interesting..?? My 36 ft Allure gally slide came with aluminum wheels and 12R x 22.5 Toyos..??

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 7073
Interesting..?? My 36 ft Allure gally slide came with aluminum wheels and 12R x 22.5 Toyos..?? Coach is # 30549